Recipe by Lil’ Ba-Ba-Reeba!
Looking for something bite-sized that’s a little bit salty and a little bit sweet? Look no further than Lil’ Ba-Ba-Reeba Bacon-Wrapped Dates. These delicious morsels make for the perfect appetizer or an all star addition to your tapas spread.
Make these bite sized appetizers at your next soiree
Serving Size: 12 pieces
12 Medjool dates, pitted
6 Applewood smoked bacon slices, medium cut
12 Unwrapped wooden toothpicks (no frills)
INGREDIENTS FOR APPLE CIDER VINAIGRETTE:
½ gallon (64. fl oz) of good quality Apple Cider
6 oz. White Wine Vinegar or Champagne Vinegar
1 cup Blended Oil (80% Canola Oil, 20% Olive Oil)
1 tsp. Kosher Salt
½ tsp. Ground white pepper
1 Gala or Honeycrisp apple
Chopped parsley, for garnish
1. Optional: Preheat oven to 450°F (see Step #5 below).
2. Pit the dates if they aren’t already: Slice lengthwise letting the knife hit the pit
(i.e., don’t slice all the way through), then pry sides open and push pit upwards and out.
3. Cut each bacon slice in half and wrap around each date.
4. With the flap end at the top, insert toothpick to ensure it doesn’t unravel.
5. Deep-fry the Bacon-Wrapped Dates at 350°F for 1 to 2 minutes, until bacon starts to crisp.
Or, roast in 450°F oven for 6 to 8 minutes, until bacon starts to crisp.
METHOD FOR APPLE CIDER VINAIGRETTE:
1. Bring apple cider to a boil and reduce to 1 cup, then allow to cool.
2. Combine cider reduction, vinegar, salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk to combine.
3. While whisking, slowly mix in oil to create emulsion. Taste and adjust salt if needed.
4. Garnish dates with apple cider vinaigrette, large diced apple pieces and chopped parsley.