Recipe by Chef Raul Gutierrez
Big Bowl’s Executive Chef and Partner Raul Gutierrez shares his family recipe for Cochinita Pibil, a traditional dish from Southern Mexico that is typically prepared underground, a unique and traditional way to prepare slow roasted pork. This recipe has been in his family for generations and he and his wife Maria prepare this for their family gatherings and celebrations.
Chef Raul's family recipe in honor of Hispanic Heritage Month
Serving Size: 6-8 people
INGREDIENTS FOR ADOBO SAUCE (makes 2 cups)
1 tube (3 - 4 oz) achiote paste (chef recommends el yucateco paste achiote)
⅓ cup fresh orange juice
⅓ cup white vinegar
1 tsp dry mexican oregano (regular oregano will also suffice)
1 tsp ground white pepper
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp ground cinnamon
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp ground ancho chile
1 tbsp crushed red pepper
2 tbsp kosher salt
½ cup canola oil
INGREDIENTS FOR COCHINITA PIBIL
5 lbs pork shoulder
Banana Leaves, roasted as needed
METHOD FOR THE ADOBO SAUCE
1. Blend all ingredients together until smooth, set aside.
METHOD FOR THE PORK
1. Cut the pork into 4” chunks.
2. Add in 2 cups of the Adobo sauce and let marinade for about 24-hours in the refrigerator.
3. Reserve the rest of the Adobo sauce.
METHOD FOR THE COCHINITA
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Using tongs, carefully cook the banana leaves over a low flame on your stove top until soft, a few seconds on each side.
3. Place the banana leaves in a baking pan.
4. Add the marinated pork on top of the banana leaves.
5. Cover the marinated pork with another layer of banana leaves, so it is completely covered by the leaves. If you do not have enough banana leaves, OK to just cover with foil.
6. Cover the dish in aluminum foil and place in the oven.
7. Cook at 350 degrees for about 2.5 - 3 hours (depending on how big the chunks of pork are cut).
8. Ensure the meat is nice and tender and use a fork to shred the meat, it should easily come apart.
9. Mix the shredded meat with all of the juices in the pan.
10. Serve alongside rice and beans and enjoy!