Recipe by Joe’s Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab
Joe’s Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab’s is sharing a recipe for Gefilte Fish!
A perfect recipe for the Jewish holidays
Serving Size: 6- 3 oz. portions
3 qts. fish stock
1/4 cup sugar (½ cup total)
1 tsp. finely ground white pepper
1 drop egg shade color
1 Tbsp. Kosher salt
18 oz. Whitefish, Lake Trout, Haddock, Pike (ground**)
3 oz. Spanish onions (rough chop)
1/8 tsp. finely ground white pepper
2 Tbsp. sugar
Pinch of salt
Pinch of accent
2 Tbsp. Matzo meal Streitz Brand
2 eggs (well beaten)
1. Bring fish stock to a gentle simmer for 15 minutes. Skim.
2. Add salt, sugar, pepper, accent and egg shade, continue to simmer for 5 minutes while prepping the gefilte fish.
3. Remove skin and bones from fish. Cube into 1” pieces. Combine fish and onions in a mixing bowl. Grind mixture and reserve in the cooler.
4. In a large mixing bowl whisk together eggs, sugar, salt, white pepper, accent, and matzo meal. Add ground fish to the mixture. Using a spatula fold mixture until combined. Allow the ingredients to rest for 10 minutes in the refrigerator.
5. Form into 3 oz. football shapes by hand. Drop directly into the simmering pot of fish stock.
6. Carefully remove fish with a slotted spoon and place into a deep hotel pan. Strain cooking liquid, chill and pour over gefilte fish.
7. Serve with Beet Horseradish.
**Pre-order fish at your local fish store or high end grocery store. If you don't have a grinding attachment at home, you can pulse it in a food processor.