Recipe by Osteria Via Stato
This holiday season, Chef David DiGregorio from Osteria Via Stato share’s his recipe for Seafood Stew from the traditional Feast of Seven Fishes menu served every Christmas Eve.
You can try the Seafood Stew as part of Chef David’s Feast of Seven Fishes at Osteria Via Stato this Christmas Eve. View the Feast of Seven Fishes menu here.
Try this recipe for the Feast of Seven Fishes
Serving Size: 4
INGREDIENTS FOR STEW
• 1 Pound salmon or whitefish cut in 2 ounce chunks (marinate in EVOO and minced garlic)
• 2 Tbsp roasted garlic
• 1 Tsp chili flakes
• 12 jumbo shrimp (21/25 Shrimp)
• 8 scallops about 2 inches in diameter (10/20 Scallops)
• ½ Cup sliced cooked fingerling potatoes, sliced horizontally in ½ inch disks
• 1 Quart Pescatore Broth (recipe follows)
• 2 Tbsp butter
• salt and pepper to taste
• ¼ Cup roughly chopped basil & parsley leaves
• crusty bread for dipping
INGREDIENTS FOR BROTH
• ½ Cup Spanish onion, ¼ inch dice
• ½ Cup celery, ¼ inch dice
• 2 Tbsp garlic cloves (thinly shaved)
• ½ Bulb fresh fennel, ¼ inch dice
• 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 1 Tsp crushed fennel seeds
• 1 bay leaf
• 1 Sprig fresh thyme
• 2 Cups crushed canned plum tomatoes
• 1 pinch red chili flakes
• 1 Tsp chili oil
• 6 Cups Clam Broth (recipe to follow)
• ¼ Cup tomato sauce
• salt and pepper
INGREDIENTS FOR CLAM BROTH
• 2 Tbsp olive oil
• ½ Cup split and washed leek (cut into 1/4 inch slices)
• 2 Tbsp garlic (finely minced)
• ½ Tsp red chili flakes
• 1 Sprig fresh thyme
• 1 fresh bay leaf
• ½ Cup white wine
• 1 Quart sea clam juice
• 2 ½ Cups water
• ½ Ounce fresh lemon juice
• Freshly ground black pepper to taste
METHOD FOR STEW
1. Add broth to a heavy saucepan with fish chunks, roasted garlic, chili flakes, potatoes and butter. Bring to a simmer. Add shrimp and herbs. Taste and season if needed with salt and pepper.
2. Season the scallops with salt and pepper on both sides. In a separate sauté pan over high heat, sauté scallops one side until golden brown in color. Turn scallops over and shut off heat. Add a piece of butter to baste scallops and finish cooking.
3. Place stew in a large serving bowl, putting most of the fish in the center, then add the scallops on top.
4. Garnish with torn Italian parsley leaves and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
METHOD FOR BROTH
1. In a heavy saucepan, heat olive oil on medium/high heat. Add onion, celery, garlic and fresh fennel. Sauté vegetables until softened, without browning.
2. Add chili flakes, chili oil, bay leaves, fennel seed, thyme, salt and pepper. Sauté for 2 minutes.
3. Add crushed tomatoes, with juice and simmer slowly for 15 minutes.
4. Add clam broth and tomato sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes more.
5. Remove the pan from heat. Cool, completely.
METHOD FOR CLAM BROTH
1. Heat oil in a heavy bottom saucepan. Add leeks and garlic. Sweat vegetables until softened without browning.
2. Add chili, bay and thyme. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add white wine and reduce by half.
3. Add clam juice and water. Bring to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes at a simmer.
4. Finish with fresh lemon juice. Cool completely.